Monday, October 22, 2012

Je Suis Malade

I'm 21. I've lived (arguably) on my own for going on four years now.
I know, big man on campus. I'm far from self-sufficient, but I'm doing alright. But there's nothing like being sick and geographically removed from family to make you feel a little more grown up. So here am I, trying to fight off a common cold in my dorm room. Sleeping, drinking water, and feeling sorry for myself. And there's no one to take care of me. Okay, that's dramatic. I have wonderful friends who have offered me soup and meds. It's not the same as when we were younger, and our family would take care of us. I'm not saying that I want that- that time has long since past. But that's a strange thing to note.

I've gotten so good at keeping my head low and just diving into the Hong Kong lifestyle that I've almost forgotten about some of the basic American customs. Halloween is a little more than a week away, and I haven't thought about it hardly at all. It's another side-effect of growing up, but it brings up some larger thought processes about studying abroad. What will Thanksgiving be like? God, what will Christmas be like? I don't even want to think about it at this point in time. It's going to be so different than anything before, and I know things won't go back to normal, even when I get back to the States. I'm on a precipice. Hong Kong is the turning point. I can't shake the feeling that things are going to be incredibly different once I get back. It scares me a little.

In other news, I still have a pounding headache from the local students acting like apes. I am not Hong Kong's biggest fan right meow.

No comments:

Post a Comment