Thursday, February 7, 2013

The Most Interesting Man in the World

I don't always update my blog.

But when I do, it's because I've got something to say. Or that I feel obligated to be consistent.
Everyone has their driving forces in life. We work every day to fulfill a select and intimate group of objectives, that somehow add meaning and purpose to our lives. If you don't, you're a goddang jellyfish, straight up. It's no good to bob through life without whim or whimsy.
And what do I chase, you ask? Dear reader, let me tell you. I want to be the most interesting man in the world.

And to what end? To cover my walls with hunted animals, lost relics, fading photographs of myself in various states of glory? Hell yes. At the end of your life, all that you have are your experiences, like pennies in a jar. Good and bad lose their meaning, and you can lie in a warm bed or on the cold ground and look back on your life. So today I drank a snake's blood.

Not just any snake, oh no. A cobra. The black badass so prominently depicted as the consort of snake charmers and Disney villains. After trying snake soup and fried snake (the rough equivalents of a chicken noodle soup and some awesome spicy ribs, respectively), it was time for the main attraction. Our Cantonese host casually brought out the victims, who had their mouths taped to avoid messy lethal wounds. They were displayed, and quickly beheaded. The blood was drained into a small bowl of rice wine, but the last few drops left in the body were up for grabs. I did what any sane experience-junky would do. I grabbed that bad dog and lifted it above my head, and had some cobra blood. In this, I was joined by two dozen other City University students.

I'm not going to claim to be unique, or daring, or all that is man. I will claim that I've tasted blood from a cobra not yet 5 seconds dead, and that experience will stay with me all of my life. I'm in Hong Kong for experience, and every day I feel that more acutely than the last. I'm excited to have the same mentality when I go back to California, and hopefully view it through new eyes. Reverse culture-shock be damned, I'm going to take the US by storm.


No comments:

Post a Comment