Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Mediocrity and You (Me)

It's one of those days where I slept too much and did too little. On the one hand, awesome, I know. Relaxing, quiet, whatever. On the other, I have this pounding and ever-present urge to further my position in life. I simply can't sit still and completely enjoy it. It sucks, it's the devil. And what decides to rear it's ugly head as a direct result? Mediocrity, you sneaky bastard. See, I consider myself to be fairly with it. Competent, intuitive, the whole shebang. But my grades aren't that good. I don't make a lot of money. I've got a good group of friends, but people aren't blowing up my phone. So where's the magic? Where's the pizzaz?
 (5/30/2012: Last recorded use of the word "pizzaz")
Then again, everyone has quiet moments and slow days, I suppose. I'm just not sure where I'm excelling, if anywhere. My friends have all heard me rant about skills and passion- how I know people who have devoted their whole lives to a skill (music, sports, art, accounting), and they're incredible at it. But I didn't choose that route. I'm too scattered. I'm pursuing all these different skills and ambitions, but I don't devote a huge amount of time to any one in particular. Partly, I blame Royksopp for my mood. Partly too much sleep. But these are nagging issues!

I saw Iron Sky the other day. I've been waiting, what, six years for it to come out? Complete anticipation. And you know what, it didn't disappoint. Different than I had imagined, but I guess that's to be expected when filmmakers from Finland make a movie in English and German about Nazis from the moon, all surrounding a core of political satire aimed straight at the US. But I loved it, and I want to see it again. I definitely suggest it if you've got an hour and a half to kill. It's thoroughly entertaining, but then again, I'm no movie critic.

And I didn't hang my shirts out to dry fast enough, and they're stale. Yes, stale shirts. It happens. And it's horrible. Not as bad as Sudanese civil war, of course, but at least they got most of their issues resolved. Whereas this keeps happening to me.

Some real shit for you, coming from the average college spectator.

No comments:

Post a Comment