Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Down and Out in the Bold New City of the South

It's 1pm in Bangkok and I haven't seen anything past the view from my room. Our plane flew into Suvarnabhumi Airport at around 4am, Hong Kong time, after a flight delay. An hour and two police checkpoints later, we settle into our room at the (semi) fabulous True Siam Hotel. Our taxi driver decided to take the scenic route throughout Bangkok, but I was so delirious from lack of sleep that I didn't mind at all.

Already, this city gives me the same feeling as Hong Kong did. It's beautiful, and grimy, dirty, and dangerous.   At least, it can be. I'm a fairly smart guy (sometimes) with a fair measure of common sense (sometimes), and I'm not too worried about my stay in Thailand, but that doesn't mean I'm going to be traipsing about all willy-nilly like.

Due to the state of my travelling companions and I, our first official day in Thailand may prove to be low key. A sky train to the river, and a water taxi to some of the larger tourist sites is about all I have inclination towards. That, and some food. I'm so hungry, and I absolutely love Thai food. I'm completely prepared for and expecting my blood to be replaced by chili oil by the end of the trip.

Now I have to go out in the world to hunt for some pad thai. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment