Thursday, September 6, 2012

Sometimes, I Get a Good Feeling

Here's a bit of trivia for you: I love to dance. Especially at clubs. The music, the lights, the heat, I love it all. I don't think I'm that good of a dancer. Not to be melodramatic, but I compare it a little bit to Tuesdays With Morrie. If you haven't read it, read it. In it, the wizened and fading Morrie loves to go to clubs and just dance, without thought or regard to style or technique. I just go for it, and it makes me happy.

Tonight, we hit up Lang Kwai Fang- the largest nightlife haunt for expats, tourists and locals alike. Now, LKF is a special kind of crazy. It starts out innocent enough- pubs just starting to get busy, dance floors steadily filling up. By midnight, it's at its peak. Everyone is dancing or singing, arm in arm. Love abounds.
By 3am, it's a wasteland. It's fights, alcohol poisoning, and heartache. It's glass and broken bottles everywhere and bodies lying on the sidewalk. It's the poorest of decisions and the depths of decency. And that's alright. It is what it is. And it is LKF.

I had a great night, overall. I had some sublime moments. I was in a club, surrounded by people, dancing with one of the most beautiful girls I've ever seen. And she can dance like you wouldn't believe, grace and control embodied and displayed by pulse-pounding strobes. I'm smitten. I'm shocked. I'm dancing like a madman, lost in a complete, sober spin cycle of stimuli. It doesn't take alcohol to get me to that point, and it would have just been too much. As charming as I was, I just couldn't crack that nut. Beautiful and stoic, and I'm like a moth to a flame.

After she left, I just couldn't get my groove back. The rest of my compadres were drinking on the street, outside of our favorite, most reliable club: 7-11. I just wasn't on their level, and I felt really badly about it. I just got pensive and distant, and didn't really want to be part of the group. I hate it when I get this way, I love my friends. But I just couldn't relate with them as well tonight, and it made me a bit lonely.
Hong Kong is a strange place, LKF even stranger sometimes. And dealing with it sober is a trying experience. I'm a little wound up, restless as a graveyard ghost. It'll pass in time.

I hope I get to dance again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment