Monday, September 3, 2012

Sweating the Small Things

Hong Kong is full of paradoxes. On any given day, the city is a sauna. Hot enough to make you sweat, not hot enough to keep you indoors. So you're out and about, and you get hungry. You decide to try out some local fare, a hole-in-the-wall noodle joint. It's hotter inside than out, and the bodies packed in doesn't help. And what do you order? Hot noodles. With peppered beef balls. Then you aid chili oil. Then you get some hot tea.
It's like French-kissing the Devil. Your mouth is on fire, you're sweating like you've never sweated before, and you're enjoying every minute of it. It's completely counter-intuitive. And I love it.

Here's something that's been on my mind. Friends. Yeah, I have friends. A lot of them. Okay, a solid amount of them. Domestically and abroad, but it's the latter that's on my mind. I once heard someone say that you shouldn't trust your first best friend in college. That's an interesting point. Not innately valid, but it's got me thinking, regardless. I've only been here a week and a half, and I love my friends. Excellent people, all of them. Charming, intelligent, pretty damn attractive as well. But could it just be infatuation? Could it be that I'm in the honeymoon phase with the people as well as the place? I sure hope not, I like these people a lot, and they seem to like me as well.
Most of them are leaving after a semester, which will be a complete bummer. Common experiences have brought us together, over interests, nationality and language. I think we'll stick together. But it's going to be hard to see them go. Oh well, I'll deal with that when it comes up.

First day of school today at City University of Hong Kong. I have one class per day, which is completely the opposite of what the school system was like back home. It's incredible, I'm actually excited for classes. It's not a chore, it's an actual interest. My first class of my senior year was Economic Strategy & Game Theory, and I can already tell it's going to shift a lot of my viewpoints. It's all multi-person decision theory, analyzing possible routes for people to take in complex situations. Brings up a lot of questions about human nature. I'm going to enjoy it.

"Rational people acting rationally can sometimes result in inefficiency."

Chew on that

No comments:

Post a Comment